USB DAC support on USB OTG enabled devices

Report bugs and unexpected behavior here.

Re: USB DAC support on USB OTG enabled devices

Postby Nicholas Ku » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:45 pm

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (Android 6.0.1) pairing with Xduoo XD-05 DAC/Amp.
No problems with this setup when using Generic driver (DAC frequensy is always 192kHz).But it has clicks even on 16/44.1 files, while choosing Direct USB Driver. Hi-res and especially DSD files is playing with glitches and lot of clicks. There is a not hardware problem, cause "USB Audio Player" plays flawlessly same FLACs ans DSFs
Nicholas Ku

Postby ZERO » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:21 am

Oppo wrote:Below please find some more information on which HW/SW configurations glitches/clicks appear too. Please tell if you will need more info.

For me this issue happens on multiple phones/Neutron settings, and details below describe settings where issue DOES occur, unless stated otherwise. I tried different settings, which in my opinion could eliminate glitching, but did not succeed. Below I provide only the settings, which are applicable IMO.

==================================

1. Phone: HTC 1 M8
Neutron versions: 1.87.1, 1.88.1
64-Bit Processing: on/off
VEC: NEON
DRV: OpenSl ES
Direct USB driver: on
32-bit Output: on/off
Frequency: 48000
Hardware latency: 2-192

2. Phone: Alcatel 8008D: issue never occurs
DRV: OpenSl ES
Frequency: 44100
Hardware latency: 2-192

In below two configurations audio data is sent via USB to external DAC "Oppo HA-2", and this is where
severe glitching/clicking occurs.

3. Phone: HTC 1 M8
DRV: Oppo
Frequency: 44100-352800
Hardware latency:
0-30: extreme glitching
300-400: less glitching

4. Phone: Alcatel 8008D
DRV: Oppo
Frequency: 44100-352800
Hardware latency:
0-30: extreme glitching
300-398: less glitching

Audio source: MP3, FLAC, WAV, WV, with whole bunch of different frequencies, 16-bit; it seems that on some MP3s glitching/clicking is much worse, than on FLACs, surprisingly.

================================

It seems, that on HTC 1 with external DAC plugged in glitching disappears after long continuing listening. (I cannot tell exactly after which period of time, and I'm not sure here), but once another song is selected or forwarded to - glitching always reappears.

NOTE: the same issue with glitching occur in Onkyo HF player, when data is sent through USB to external DAC, hence I believe the problem exists not only in Neutron player.

Is this still an issue? I am considering getting an OPPO HA-2 for my Moto X Pure and want to make sure it is actually going to work before I buy it.
ZERO

Postby Rockyjonsan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:21 am

I know that in such case no additional work is needed to route audio to external USB. By the way, could you please check value of Latency in Settings -> Audio Hardware for external USB if you have it. The value is in (). For basic Android hardware it is 92ms but interesting what is shown for external USB.
Rockyjonsan

Postby schiff1108 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:50 am

I am using the Neutron DAC feature since many years. Very nice. First with Samsung S3, later an s5.

Actually, I got a Samsung s7. But I cannot my external DAC working. I have an ibasso D-Zero MK2.

All time, I was using custom ROMs based on LineageOS.

Do I forget anything. Do I have to taken a certain configuration in Android or NeutronMP?

Might there be a mismatch between the S7 and my nice ibasso?
schiff1108

Postby Rod2 » Sat May 12, 2018 4:29 pm

I'm unsing a Samsung Tab E Lite 7" tablet.

Just got the Dragonfly Black DAC and an OTG cable.

The Dragonfly works perfectly connected to USB of my windows 7 laptop

but nothing from Samsung tablet. Music plays from the tablet speakers, nothing from the headphones connected to the Dragonfly.

Have looked at Audio Hardware section in Neutron and cannot make the music go to the USB output, no matter what.

Any advice? Is it possible it simply will not work with this tablet? it is running android version 4.4.4
Rod2

Postby csricharan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:45 am

I have an Honor 7 and recently bought a Fiio Q1 Mk2. After some figuring out, I got it to work with the DAC but there is some sort of electronic interference which manifests as a low volume crackling noise when I scroll down the song list, use other functions or use the phone in any way. Does anyone have a solution? Because, I will have to return the DAC if I can't find a solution.
csricharan

Postby aptoide » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:38 pm

https://nextgenapks.com/aptoide-apk-android-ios-iphone-ipad-windows-pc/

If you want to install Aptoide APK on Android, iOS, iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini or Windows 10, 8.1, 8 or 7 operating system based PC, then follow this in-depth guide on Aptoide APK on your smartphone then you need to use the Aptoide APK and get Aptoide Installer in it.
aptoide

Postby arianapham » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:24 am

This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work. FNAF - Sister Location Custom
arianapham

Re: USB DAC support on USB OTG enabled devices?

Postby woebegonelake » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:24 am

DanBa wrote:Hi Dmitry!

Concerning iPod/iPhone/iPad, Apple has a vested interest; iDevice USB audio interface is proprietary. Apple iDevice compliant USB DAC is not compatible with PC and Apple Mac:

. A "proprietary" USB DAC, which is compliant with iPod/iPhone/iPad, has to include an Apple authentication coprocessor.
http://www.xmos.com/products/development-kits/ipod-dock

. An iDevice compliant USB DAC acts as a USB host, and an iPod/iPhone/iPad acts as a USB device.

A common USB DAC compatible with PC, Apple Mac and Android devices acts as a USB device, and a PC/Mac/Android acts as a USB host.
An iPad can connect to a common USB DAC via an Apple Camera Connection Kit which switches the iPad into USB host mode.

. iPod/iPhone proprietary USB audio is limited to 16/48.
"6moons reader Robert Gaboury thinks that "Apple failed to understand the appeal of the iPod as a high-resolution machine. This is surprising from the inventors of the genre — or second proponent if we include Sony as the true mother — but perhaps they just outgrew their own personality. Judging from the sheer number of HD portable media players offered at the Hong Kong electronics show (players with FLAC support and compatible with almost any other AV format you can think of), I think the iPod will open the door to a new generation of non-Apple portable devices just as the Sony Walkman paved the way for the original iPod."
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/aloaudio2/2.html

There is a very well-praised 24/192 portable media player, iBasso DX100, which is powered by Android.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592076/ibasso- ... video-pg-1

Android smartphones are more likely the predominant computers in the near future; because Android is free and mostly open source, and smartphones are (subsidized) phones.

Android relies on Linux for core system services such as driver model. The Linux kernel acts as an abstraction layer between the hardware and the rest of the software stack.

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture or ALSA is a Linux kernel component.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Linu ... ecture.htm

Android includes the ALSA source code which can be compliant with USB audio class 2 devices, like standard USB DAC allowing for 24 bits / 192 kHz.
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_Audio.htm
https://bitbucket.org/paulobrien/androi ... usb/card.c
android_kernel_galaxynexus / sound / usb / card.c: "USB Audio Driver for ALSA"

Some developers/hackers have enabled USB audio on the Linux-powered Squeezebox Touch which is able to interwork with asynchronous USB Audio Class 2 (UAC 2) devices
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/in ... ebox-touch

"UAC 2 support
Based on Mark's feedback [using an async ARCAM DAC] I've updated the Usb Audio Output applet to version 0.6. This should now support detection and selection of dacs wanting 32bit samples. This is working for Mark with kernel #4 to support uac 2 dacs."
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... post696152

IMHO Google has very likely no idea about high dimensions music devices, but Android will very likely have a big market share in this area thanks to the compliancy with the open standards: standard USB audio, open source Linux kernel, free Android, standard DLNA, standard Wi-Fi Direct, standard Wi-Fi Display.

Thanks for the link.
woebegonelake

Postby phamyen » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:41 am

Thank you very much for sharing this very useful information,
word cookies answers
phamyen

Previous

Return to Support