Interruptions in DLNA playback

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
Stephanmanders

Interruptions in DLNA playback

Post by Stephanmanders » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:47 pm

When streaming audio to my amplifier (Marantz AV7005) the audio is interrupted every now and then. With 44.1kHZ and FLAC output it does not happen and output is always fine. With 48kHz it occurs occasionally, with 96kHz audio is only available for a few seconds and then the player is showinginstable behavior (sometimes crashes, sometimes hangs for a while). Do more people experience this? Tried to adjust several settings but this always occurs. I'm running the player on a HTC one-X.

victor6303

Re: Interruptions in DLNA playback

Post by victor6303 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:51 pm

Stephanmanders wrote:When streaming audio to my amplifier (Marantz AV7005) the audio is interrupted every now and then. With 44.1kHZ and FLAC output it does not happen and output is always fine. With 48kHz it occurs occasionally, with 96kHz audio is only available for a few seconds and then the player is showinginstable behavior (sometimes crashes, sometimes hangs for a while). Do more people experience this? Tried to adjust several settings but this always occurs. I'm running the player on a HTC one-X.
Yep, it happens also to me, specially with my Raspberry-Pi (soft. Pi-Musicbox): it is impossible to stream anything from Neutron to the Rasp, even when it has its DLNA/UPnP feature activated. But the Raspberry works fine with other players like, for instance, Bubble UPnP: you can select a cloud where your music is saved (Dropbox, Box, Google Drive,...) and then select the UPnP renderer around.
Besides Neutron takes a long time to locate the UPnP renderer, plus a lot to accept the selected one and... most of the time it disconnects itself. My cellular is a BQ Aquaris E5 HD (Android 4.4.2).

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:23 am

It can be due to a high CPU load of the mobile device.

> 44.1kHZ and FLAC output

Did you intentionally choose FLAC? If UPnP/DLNA rendered supports LPCM then it is the best format to choose (default) because it does not waste CPU for compressing data.

victor6303

Post by victor6303 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:20 am

Hi Dmitrykos,

In my case, it doesn't matter the selected format. I have problems even to select the DLNA renderer: it takes a long time to reach it and, once selected, the volume control (floating vertical slider) appears for a while (this happens everytime I select a DLNA renderer and it starts to play the stream)... but at once it skips and streams to my mobile phone... as it was rejected or the waiting time was too-much and so, it goes back to mobile phone as the only 'renderer' able to play. Perhaps... increasing the time to connect, it would work. How can I increase that?
Thank you in advance!

mjk93

Post by mjk93 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:32 am

I have been using DLNA in various setups recently and have found it to be unreliable to say the least. If you can, use SMB or even better NFS.

Hope this helps.