Micro-interruptions with BB Classic

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
M.Hulot

Micro-interruptions with BB Classic

Post by M.Hulot » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:44 pm

I'm using Neutron for a few months. First on my BB Q10 - no problems.
Since using it with the BB Classic I noticed several micro interruprions/dropouts. This means the sound/music is interrupted for about a hundredth or tenth of a second, but it seems that the music plays on but only the sound is cut for this little time. But maybe it stops for this short time. I don't know.

I tried everything that came to my mind to solve the problem (deactivating 64 bit, replay gain and Automatic Gain Protection). Nothing helped.

Maybe it's a bug or the app isn't completely compatible with BB Classic and the new 10.3 OS.

Is there any chance you could check this? Because listening to music isn't much fun with those breaks.

Thank you.

M.Hulot

Re: Micro-interruptions with BB Classic

Post by M.Hulot » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:50 pm

Now I'm sure: not the Sound is only interrupted, but the replay stops for a hundredth or tenth of a second.

Is no developer interested in this problem?

thegambl3r

Post by thegambl3r » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:30 pm

Increase hardware and software latency in the "Audio Hardware" part of settings.

M.Hulot

Post by M.Hulot » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:25 pm

I'll give it try.

Hardware latency was 220
Software latency 20.

I'll Set them to maximum.

M.Hulot

Post by M.Hulot » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:23 pm

With maximum settings the breaks get bigger, but the Music doesn't stop, it is just not audible.

So I Set Hardware latency to 500, Software to 2. This worked some time, but then the interruptions and clicks occured again.

Could you please tell me what is the difference of Hardware and Software latency? And could you make some suggestions for a setting that solves my problem?

Thank you in advance.

thegambl3r

Post by thegambl3r » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Hardware latency gives the CPU more time to process the music (e.g. at 1000ms it is asked to process 1 second before the music actually plays). I don't know what software latency does.

I'm not really sure what settings are good for your phone, is there a NEON version available for Blackberry? Using NEON improved the performance of Neutron on my phone quite a bit (I use 200 / 35 on a Galaxy S3).

M.Hulot

Post by M.Hulot » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:38 am

I tried several settings with latency. But nothing really worked Well. The interruptions still occur...

What is NEON?

Thinker

Post by Thinker » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:20 pm

I am using Neutron on a Blackberry Z30, which I believe is similar to the Classic, from a BB10 OS point of view. I am also running a leaked OS 10.3.1.2267. I have also noticed this tendency of Neutron to start crackling after playing back for an hour or more. I think of it as switching noise. If I stop playback then restart, the crackling has stopped. I have a lot of apps loaded in memory, some are on the Android runtime. I am using a 64 GB SD card as my music storage medium, so there is a special device driver in the loop. I have not noticed any other problem with my phone or other apps, except for this issue with Neutron, but that might only be because Neutron is the only app I use for such long continuous stretches.
Update: I now have the official BB10.3.1.2267 on my Z30. I notice that the Android player is having latency issues interacting with Audible. First time I have ever had any not responding issues with this. As I unlocked my screen to access Audible, I had similar playback breakup issues with Audible that I am having with Neutron. Last time Neutron started crackling, I killed the Android player process and the crackling stopped. Possibly coincidence, but may be a clue in there.