Playlist bug

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Playlist bug

Post by dmitrykos » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:46 pm

Thank you very much for the experiments! :)

Power off - is already an abnormal situation for any app. All non-system applications are simply force closed (killing process) and no graceful exit is possible. If you exit UI and then Power Off device all shall be fine with saving changes you made to EQ, Gain along with playback position.

> I would ask again, why can't Neutron "write the state" in real time

Neutron does so, but by timer. E.g. it has regular 30 sec intervals when saving to DB happens. it allows to minimize negative impact on UI (small freezing) due to SQL operations. In mobile device on SD card (internal, external), SQL is really slow on write operations (unlike it is on PC) and thus I have to do in intervals. If you make some change and then suddenly Power Off device (similar to process kill) then timer may not be called. If you exit Neutron's UI and then Power Off timer then all will be saved.

To fix it, I can minimize timer interval. This is the only way out possible.

rs219

Post by rs219 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:38 pm

What about adding a button "Exit" that would make a final write of the state?

Also, EQ changes are fine but Volume (Gain) continues to get reset to the Samsung Galaxy Player 4 default. Somehow, Neutron is not changing this to what it was even after waiting 1 minute before exiting the UI, killing the process 2 times and then powering off.

rs219

Post by rs219 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:01 pm

1.46 is making things better, but I continue having the problem with the device volume button.

* Neutron is still not re-setting the default power-on volume to be the last volume setting used in Neutron.
* When powered-on, Neutron is at the song and even position of the song last played before a pause and exit. But, as soon as I increase the volume to be where it was last used, Neutron continues to stop and jump to the first album that has album art (does not play it - it is paused).

In thinking about the suggestion above to provide some kind of "Exit" button or icon, it kind of amazes me that any Android program does not have the ability to detect a hardwired control (i.e. return to previous, home, etc) so that it can be trapped so that the things Neutron needs to do (i.e. save the state) can't be done. Perhaps I am over-simplifying the solution, but when Neutron is running and the Settings hardwire is touched, it does bring up the specific Neutron Settings.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:45 pm

Since 1.46.1 it shall be saving modifications to DB within 5 seconds time. I can't reproduce volume not saved. Was trying several times but it is always saved and restored to last position.

> When powered-on, Neutron is at the song and even position of the song last played before a pause and exit.

May be 5 seconds is not enough? What if you wait 5 secs and exit then. But if you exit from UI position shall be saved where track is currently playing/paused. On my device it works like that. I will try to check other possible situations.

> as soon as I increase the volume to be where it was last used, Neutron continues to stop and jump to the first album that has album art (does not play it - it is paused)

Do you mean you touch volume button on device and Neutron changes track!? Could it be the case that you are using some kind of app which detects volume button multiple press and switches track to next/prev?

rs219

Post by rs219 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:49 pm

dmitrykos wrote:Do you mean you touch volume button on device and Neutron changes track!? Could it be the case that you are using some kind of app which detects volume button multiple press and switches track to next/prev?
Yes, on my Samsung Galaxy Player 4 I press the volume button and Neutron aborts the current album/song and jumps to the 1st album that has album art, and paused at the 1st song there.

I can't say if another app is detecting anything, but I can say that other than the OS and a few things like Google Maps there is nothing else running. I basically only use the player for songs and games.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:41 am

Ok, thank you for clarification. I am really surprised that volume button affects and causes switch to next track because in code of Neutron it is not possible, e.g. these are different things there. I will try to add 15-30 sec periodic timer to save progress and will post -DEV3 version APK on website today, so you could test it and see if situation improves.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:25 pm

I just posted -DEV3 on web site. Could you please download it and check. I managed to catch Power Off event and Neutron closes self gracefully now. Also it saves position during playback - every 30 seconds.

rs219

Post by rs219 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Ok, but how do I install it? I downloaded to my desktop and can transfer it to the player, but what do I do on the player? And, will it overwrite the 1.46 official version?

Also, just so you know, another behavior I have discovered to better understand the problem. If you adjust the volume on the player before you start Neutron, then when you start Neutron it will not misbehave after you make another volume adjustment when you are in the UI. However, I observe that when I adjust the volume when in the Neutron UI, Neutron quickly displays its logo underneath the current album art. In this case, Neutron correctly stays in the album/song it remembers but perhaps trying to display/do something else is a clue about the bad behavior?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:19 pm

> Ok, but how do I install it? I downloaded to my desktop and can transfer it to the player, but what do I do on the player? And, will it overwrite the 1.46 official version?

You need to put it to some folder in device, then access it with Android's file manager, and tap on APK file. Android will offer you possibility to install the app. It will overwrite official but it will work as if it is official, with future updates and etc. Android OS in its settings shall have Unknown sources option ON (Settings -> Applications).

> is a clue about the bad behavior?

Currently no clue yet. The volume buttons in Neutron are not connected to any mechanism which may cause track/album art change. It can only be so when I was trying some application which allowed switching tracks with volume buttons and most probably some ROMs even have such capability built-in: for quick double press it advances track and etc. For me it always only showing panel with volume slider and RMS bar.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:21 pm

1.47 version is out which includes improvement for current position memorizing. Also it will work ok if playing and you use Power Off.