Best settings for gain control

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
tigrrrlily

Re: Best settings for gain control

Post by tigrrrlily » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:13 am

As far as I understand it, automatic gain protection is really just a safety valve. However, there might be a quick solution without getting everything else "correct":
If you have (settings/automatic gain protection/reset on new track) checked, you might want to uncheck it. If your songs indeed have a similar peak level, this should make its operation basically unnoticeable unless you click to see the pre-amp level.

intelliriffer

Post by intelliriffer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:17 am

Normalizing in it's current implementation can cause few issues in some cases, that i have asked dimitry about.

If your pre-amp agc is bringing the music down, it is to prevent distortion and preserve the dynamic range (the only other alternative is to kill any dynamic range (compression) and use a limiter/compressor) which changes transients and sound depending on the content.
If music is not loud enough, it's either that the device volume is not loud enough (euro restrictions ) or your output device (headphone) impedance/load is a bit higher for the devices internal amplifier.

However, at times I use the replay gain feature along with agc and it's reset feature.
I set my replay gain to songs with non embedded data to around +3db,, i.e to push them a little over the limit and then have pre-amp set to 0 db with it's reset setting on every song to 0 db.
So FOR any loud song agc engages and scales the level back, as soon as the peak hits the threshold (for clipping//distortion). not the ideal way but works when i know majority of songs are low.
it is similar to setting pre-amp reset level to above 0 ,like 3db, so each song starts louder.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:34 pm

> I have automatic gain protection disabled because if I was listening to music loud, it obviously decreases volume of the song

Otherwise the truncation of digital representation of audio signal would occur and you would hear overloaded sound (like some heavy-metal music :) ). AGP core is monitoring RMS of audio signal and will auto-decrease it once overloading starts happening.

Most probably you used EQ and set Low band higher than 0 db. It will easily overload music if it is normalized and commercial music is normally normalized in studio. So, to avoid overloading you need to decrease Preamp gain or what is the best way - normalize the album or folder: long press on album/folder entry -> [+ EQ] to bind current EQ setup on album/folder tracks -> [NORMALIZE] -> select all tracks and confirm. After normalization AGP will be switched of if normalized track is playing. Also the dynamic range of digital representation of audio signal will be the most optimal and overloading will never happen.

Normalization does not alter music file information, Neutron will save setup for its audio core for analyzed track in its database. So it is absolutely safe to use it.