Choppy and freezing when streaming from SMB HDD

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
neilcperks

Choppy and freezing when streaming from SMB HDD

Post by neilcperks » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:20 am

Hi Dmitry,

Strange one when streaming SMB from my HDD attached to my router. I can play music with no problems for, say 10 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes even longer, then the music suddenly stops (sometimes for a fraction of a second, sometimes a lot longer), then it commences playing the music again. After this the music will constantly stutter along or freeze altogether and the tablet becomes frozen even if the music is playing. I then have to soft reset the tablet (Galaxy Tab10.1 Stock ICS firmware), and once reset it will start working ok again for a period of time.

I have monitored the processor, but it's never more than 20% busy. Also if I monitor the wireless light on the router it happily flashes away, but then abruptly stops when the player freezes, then starts up again when the music starts to play again.

I have not had this problem with other players I use; I use Bubble UPNP and MX Player for streaming video from the HDD and it is as smooth as silk and also used for for playing audio with no problems, but the quality is nowhere near as good as Neutron. Also streaming music and video to my PS3 is ok.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Neil

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Choppy and freezing when streaming from SMB HDD

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi Neil,

So far I have not yet got any complaints regarding interrupted playback when SMB/CIFS is used nor having any problems streaming audio from USB drive connected to my router.

May be firmware of your router has internal bug when it comes to long SMB/CIFS operation, have you checked for updates? Do other players use uPNP protocol? If so then it is different protocol and router is handling it with different part of its software.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Choppy and freezing when streaming from SMB HDD

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:29 am

Hi Aleko!

Do you experience choppy output if you have line-out connection only? E.g. when Bluetooth connection is not used.

Best regards,
Dmitry.