SMB

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
neilcperks

SMB

Post by neilcperks » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:57 am

I have downloaded the trial version of Neutron MP (1.69.1) as I wanted to try the Samba implementation before purchasing. However I'm not sure how to set up the network address.

In the address I'm putting :192.168.1.1 (which is the address of my router which the SMB drive is attached to)

I'm then filling in the login and password correctly.

What am I doing wrong as I'm not sure on the address requirements for this

Samba is setup correctly on the router and have used with other devices.

Thanks

Neil

c0d3r

Re: SMB

Post by c0d3r » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:17 pm

I think you should enter the IP address of your SMB device, e.g. if you have a NAS connect to your router, then its your NAS IP address need to be entered, e.g. 192.168.1.6

vovandopala

Post by vovandopala » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:21 pm

I confirm this bug. I have smb share on my linux (openSuse 12.3) PC. All my devices are connected successfully, but not Neutron.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:25 am

Hi Neil!

> 192.168.1.1 (which is the address of my router which the SMB drive is attached to)

You need to enter IP of your NAS, not the router. E.g. it will be something like 192.168.1.2 or something else (c0d3r mentioned it correctly). Then, if you assigned some authentication to NAS you need to enter login and password.

Have you tried pressing Network entry which lists IP interfaces of your mobile device and then press on interface to have a list of all devices on LAN? Please note that if you have some password protection on LAN you can register login+password by long-pressing on sub-net entry.

Best regards,
Dmtiry.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:33 am

vovandopala wrote:I confirm this bug. I have smb share on my linux (openSuse 12.3) PC. All my devices are connected successfully, but not Neutron.
I am not sure about your statement :) There are some conditions which must be met to have access to end-point of LAN. The first obstacle is login and password. End-point won't even list shares to requesting side without authentication. You need to enter login and password for your sub-network and then try scanning end-points again (e.g. just tap on sub-network entry and see what Neutron shows).

Have you tried direct IP connection by using [+] button and entering IP, login, password of your PC? Have you tried NTLM authentication mode?

neilcperks

Post by neilcperks » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:09 pm

At last managed to get smb working. As you said long pressing network (by the way this only works in portrait mode) brings up networks it finds. Even with this I couldn't get it to work, in the end I used the device name to get it going.

Totally took me 5 or 6 hours messing about to finally get it going. I'm only glad it was well worth while, really superb sound and I purchased the full version.

As others have said the interface is anything but initiative, and a simple guide to getting started would be worthwhile. I dread to think how many people have given up and you have lost sales. I persevered and very happy I did.

Thanks for a great programme and really pleased with the purchase.

Cheers

Neil

quadstone

Post by quadstone » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:37 pm

If you could share some more details about how you got it to work, it would be appreciated Neil. I've spent considerable time and thought I tried every permutation of IP and device name; but maybe I missed something. I'd love to be able to use the smb function. It is a really great sounding player and handles 2496kHz flacs without a hitch. Thanks.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:03 pm

quadstone, probably neilcperks meant that instead of IP he entered the device name (domain). Neutron can also resolve domains, so it will work if DHCP information is available in OS.

What do you see if you press Sources -> [+] -> Network -> Network? There must be at least one interface listed which is a gateway to the sub-network to which your device is connected. Then, if you have some authentication inside your LAN, long press entry of that sub-network and enter login and password and confirm. Press on sub-network entry and Neutron will show you the list of found end-points (NASs or PCs) where 'shares' were reported. If you do not see anything return to properties of sub-network and modify from LM to NTLM authentication and try again.

Or, you can directly enter IP or domain name of your LAN end-point with Sources -> [+] -> Network -> [+].

Also make sure you have shares available on end-point.

quadstone

Post by quadstone » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:14 am

Sorry Dmitry; it does not work for me. But it is a moot point now, as I had to rollback to ver 1.68 so that I could load LAN M3u's properly. I will await your next revision and enjoy the product until that time. Best regards!

neilcperks

Post by neilcperks » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:48 am

Yes that is correct Dmitry. I tried the long press on the blue "Network" text and this gave me the network. I entered the user name and password.It then found the directory for music, but just kept returning "null entries" or something like that.

In desperation I went onto my pc and found the domain name in Windows Explorer. I then went to network screen again and pressed + and manually entered the domain name for the address and user name and password. Hey presto it started to work and built the database.

A real pain but well worth it.