Neutron MP killing radio

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
williamsardar

Neutron MP killing radio

Post by williamsardar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi I have got a Galaxy Note.

It has just been updated to Jelly Bean.

I was waiting for this update as an excuse to wipe the phone and make sure it wasn't some other app doing it.... but I'm pretty sure it's Neutron!

I have Neutron installed with service enabled, and the mini widget on my home screen.

When I am listening to the built-in radio app, often the radio gets de-activated.

Before the update to Jelly bean, I wasn't sure what was causing it, I thought it might be Neutron because the widget album art sometimes got re-drawn when it happened. But now there is better evidence - when the radio cuts out, the Neutron notification - Album - Artist - Title, appears when the radio cuts out. What's more, the song which I was playing last time I used Neutron plays for a split second then stops again.

This is unwanted behaviour! Please could a bug be raised and investigated.

Thank you,
Regards,
William

williamsardar

Re: Neutron MP killing radio

Post by williamsardar » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:27 pm

One more piece of evidence - there is a haptic buzz when the radio stops, and I have haptic feedback enabled in Neutron.

williamsardar

Post by williamsardar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi
I think I have tracked the event that is causing the radio to stop: It's when the service starts/restarts.
If I restart my phone, then start the radio, then start Neutron, the radio will stop.
If I disable the Neutron service setting, wait till the Neutron service gets killed (I know because the widget loses all information), then play the radio - when I click on the Neutron widget the Neutron service is started and the radio dies.
If I disable the Neutron service setting, it seems to prevent the radio being killed.
Most other apps keep the service alive with a notification icon - why doesn't Neutron use this approach?

williamsardar

Post by williamsardar » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi Dmitry

I have noted the new option in the latest release (v.1.69.2: Settings -> UI: OS NOTIFY)

I have used this option to disable OS Notify. I also have the Service disabled.

When I restart my phone, then the Neutron service is not active. I load the radio, the radio is playing.

Then I start Neutron. The radio stops. Even when the OS NOTIFY setting is disabled.

Neutron is still killing the radio!

(by the way, I noticed that disabling OS NOTIFY also disables scrobbling)

Regards
William

williamsardar

Post by williamsardar » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:49 pm

By the way, I should clarify I don't think it's actually crashing or killing the radio app.

The radio app is being made to think the stop button has been pressed. The radio stop/play button still remains in the notification bar even when Neutron causes the radio to stop, I can just re-start the radio from the notification bar.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi William!

I am sorry that forgot to notify you about new option: Neutron UI -> User Interface -> scroll to very bottom -> switch off NOTIFY OS. This option is since latest 1.69.2. Would you please check if your other app is working without described issues when NOTIFY OS is switched off.

Best regards,
Dmitry.

williamsardar

Post by williamsardar » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi Dmitry.

Please scroll up, I already reported my experiments with the NOTIFY OS setting. Sadly, no better. The radio is still getting paused when Neutron starts up.

Regards,
William

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi William,

I am sorry did not notice that you tested it.

Ok, then notifications is not a cause then. But I have an idea. Probably due to Audio Focus management you get radio app stopped. You can try disabling Audio Focus management in Neutron:

Neutron UI -> Settings -> Audio Hardware -> scroll and find and switch off [Audio Focus].

Will it help?

Best regards,
Dmitry.

williamsardar

Post by williamsardar » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Ok switching off Audio Focus seems to solve the problem.

But now wanted behaviour is not happening... radio down not stop if I press play in Neutron.

Why should Neutron be demanding audio focus when the service restarts in the background?

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:28 pm

> Why should Neutron be demanding audio focus when the service restarts in the background?

It probably happens due to Master mixer starting. At this moment audio focus is acquired but if no further audio activity happens Master mixer goes into suspension state and releases focus. Probably this is what is messing with your Radio app.

Probably, it worth starting Master mixer in suspended state and start it once playback is started. I will put it into to-do for review for further improvement of playback core.