Version 1.68 PlayBook UI bug

Support questions for Neutron Player only.
dmitrykos
Site Admin

Re: Version 1.68 PlayBook UI bug

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:21 pm

DougL wrote:The Auto Gain Protection slider wouldn't go lower than 1.0, so pressed the Reset Gain & EQ button.
Hmm, strange... But if you are on killed PlayBook UI then probably this is the reason. Also it is possible to enter value manually by pressing number on the right side of scroll bar.

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:33 pm

instrosurfman wrote:We have been waiting 17 days. Aside from the UI fix, can Dimitri comment on the fact that scanning SD card quits after 30 or so songs but will scan all 800 of my songs from onboard memory?
If you mean Z10 then I confirm some strange behavior with scanning of external SD. Got reports which you can also see here in this thread that only some music files get scanned while there is no problem with same files but if scanning internal memory of the device.

I am currently investigating the problem, so do not have a reply why it happens. Neutron is using low-level OS API to access files/directories and if everything works fine with internal memory then the same must be with external SD because for Neutron in this case it does not matter what storage device is used because external SD looks as just another folder with different path. OS API also does not care about what is the device - network, internal, external... The same OS API (because both OSes are POSIX compliant and have common OS API) is used with Android OS and it is working fine with internal/external storage.

So, my raw guess is that BB10 OS has some bug inside OS which causes such behavior. During scanning Neutron opens/closes a lot of files and may be OS can't handle it well at this moment. May be adding some small delay would cure the problem but it will increase scanning time and anyway looks like a workaround for an OS bug.

RIM did not provide external SD in their Dev Alpha devices and only Z10 device got it first. External SD support wasn't documented either (thus pre 1.68.0 did not support it) and thus not much testing by developers of other apps was given to this area.

Anyway, will try to find the solution to this problem!

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:42 pm

> stutbw

Thank you very much for your kind support! :)

myklgrant

Post by myklgrant » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:04 pm

So I settled down and looked at how this ui bug and version delay is affecting me:

1. I can still listen to all the FLACs on my PB and they still sound amazing especially since NMP gave me a reason to upgrade my headphones a few months back. No problem there.
2. I can't choose the songs that play (for now), but since I ripped them all, they are (a priori) all ones I like to listen to. No problem there.
3. NMP lets me listen to my SkyFM playlists at 256k. No problem there.
4. Eventually Blackberry will forward the update. No problem there.
5. NMP is the best audio software I have ever heard - period. Really no problem there.

I actually tried the other FLAC player for PB and was once again shown what a gem NMP is. I really miss having a fully functional NMP - how good is an app when you can actually say you miss it?

So I owe Dmitrykos an apology for my rant a few days ago. Stuff happens.

Michael Grant

grantwarkentin

Post by grantwarkentin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:04 pm

I would like to echo what some others have said here, thank you dmitry for this fantastic app. Your dedication as a developer and communication with app users is a model for other app developers out there and really shows how much you have put into Neutron!

This really is the best app on my Playbook, the one I use the most, and one of the best apps in the whole store. Too bad AppWorld has been sitting on the update for so long, but there's nothing you can do about it.

So thanks again, and maybe when I go home tonight there will be an update waiting for me...

dmitrykos
Site Admin

Post by dmitrykos » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:44 pm

Great news! Update is finally approved :)

primusd

Post by primusd » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:51 pm

dmitrykos wrote:Great news! Update is finally approved :)
Fantastic news!! Unfortunately its not showing up in BBW either via my desktop browser or BBW app in Z10 (can't check PB as of course today is the one day I forget it at home). Hopefully the sdcard card issue is also addressed with this update so it can see/play all my music.

Thanks Dmitry!!

instrosurfman

Post by instrosurfman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:44 am

New version renders correctly on PB. SD card scanning only finds 39 songs on my Z10 where I actually have over 800 :(
In any event I am going and running again. One work around for the SD scanning bug is to copy all SD music to onboard storage.

warrenmr

Post by warrenmr » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:26 am

Won't install at all on my Z10 now - I get "error installing application" message. So I am completely without Neutron since I can't downgrade to the old version.

Haven't tried it on the PlayBook yet.

primusd

Post by primusd » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:39 am

warrenmr wrote:Won't install at all on my Z10 now - I get "error installing application" message. So I am completely without Neutron since I can't downgrade to the old version.

Haven't tried it on the PlayBook yet.
Same here on z10 - error installing application. I tried to delete fully and re-install, but that didn't work either. Next tried to reboot (with app uninstalled) and then install... same deal. I even tried 'deleting' it from my world and searching and re-install... no go. Now I am NMP'less on my z10 :(

Seems from above that some were able to install it... I wonder if its only an issue for those who installed the previous version??

On PB, the update went fine. I did note at one point after opening it that the screen went blank, but when I rotated to portrait, everything came back and seems fine. Indeed, it may be that I haven't used it on my PB in a little while, but swiping seemed much more responsive than before (note that I was updating from 1.67 -- thankfully this forum helped me avoid the original 1.68 update with the UI bug).